Verse

I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14

Friday, September 24, 2010

Fear (originally written in 2009)

Fear is such a relative emotion. What one person is afraid of may not even cross the mind of someone else. Also, depending on a person’s experience and environment fear can be different for each individual. On top of that, the deceiver (Satan) can lead individuals to fear something that can trap and enslave them.

Mike asked a question the other day of each of our kids… What are you afraid of?

We had a range of answers:

Ethan: I am afraid I could break my foot. (The “smart” answer since he had recently broken his foot.)

Rebecca: I am afraid of dying.

Sarah: I am afraid of lightning and having a baby.

Anderson: I am afraid of getting lost in Goodwill. Yes, that is what he said.

At first, I thought, “How cute?” Then I thought, “How real?”, “How honest?”

We don’t always grasp the truth that God has for us concerning fear. We also are unaware of the enemy trying to trip us up with fear. As a grown-up, I find it so funny how my fears are really no different than a child’s fears. We want to be well liked so we are people pleasers and avoid conflict. We would sometimes cover our fears with words like… “I am just being careful” when it is actually fear. God has called us out of our comforts to a life of trust. So, I speak to myself by saying, “God, I trust you know matter what.” I just need to take my fears to Him. He knows exactly what to do with them.

I Peter 3:13-15- “Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. ‘Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.’ But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment